Monday, September 19, 2011

Reggae Hit LA Then SF: The Aggrolites, Peelander Z, and Brothers of Brazil At Slim's on 9/15/11



When I walked into Slim's the night of September 16th, there couldn't have been more than 75 people in the club waiting for the show to start. I couldn't believe it. The Aggrolites are one of the greatest live bands currently touring, and usually tend to pack whatever venue they come through in the Bay Area. However, it was still early and I didn't completely write off the taste and nightlife preferences of San Francisco and meandered around Slim's waiting for the show to begin. I strive to keep myself from being jaded and cynical and besides, I got to see The Aggrolites that night. Why be in a bad mood over the poor taste of others?

The opening act for Thursday's show was a band called Brothers of Brazil. There really wasn't anything that could have prepared me for them...



The two man group were a combination of Bossa Nova, Billy Bragg-esque folk, the furious punk attitude of the Sex Pistols, something French that I couldn't quite put my finger on, and a healthy dose of witty, pop culture inspired humor. As they kicked off their set, drawing heavily from their PunkaNova, I wasn't quite sure what to think. I almost felt like I was staring at a strobe light, unable to really process exactly what these two crazy looking dudes were doing onstage. As the set went on, it became apparent that the Brothers of Brazil were brilliant. They managed to blend several very unique musical styles and couple that with a very natural, humorous onstage banter, making for one of the greatest half hours of live music I have seen all year. As the set went on, I learned that they are actually brothers and from Brazil, so Brothers of Brazil isn't just a clever name. These guys were hilarious, captivating, and played incredibly refreshing material. I highly recommended catching these guys as well as picking up PunkaNova.










Then Peelander Z happened...



As Slim's began to fill up with people, I should have known something was up when I saw these random punker looking guys and girl walking around in neon-colored, leopard-print clothing lurking around the merch tables. What actually went down was mind-blowing. Peelander-Z play "Japanese Action Comic Punk", which I can assure after Thursday's set is far much more than just a unique subgenre of punk rock. Musically, Peelander-Z play fast, aggressive punk that at times is reminiscent of Bad Brains, but on copious amounts of nitrous oxide. The music isn't really the star of the Peelander Z's show though. The band has one of the most hilarious inactive live shows I have ever seen. The band would introduce each song by holding up handwritten signs (as seen in the photo above", hand out drumsticks and metal dog bowls to be struck, animal costumes, a crowd-wide limbo game, and bowling the guitar player bowled with the bassist. Words don't even begin to do this justice. While Brothers of Brazil played an amazing set to a crowd who still stayed back near the bar, Peelander Z made participating in their show mandatory. Even people who weren't loving their music, Peenlander Z had everyone in the room at the very least laughing and smiling with them. I can't say for certain that the magic translates onto their recorded albums, but you absolutely have to see Peelander Z live. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. I took a lot of pictures, so bare with me.




















The Aggrolites



By the time Peelander Z had finished their set, I seriously wondered what The Aggrolites were going to do to top that set. Granted, both bands are very different at what they bring to the table live, but even with that taken into consideration, following up Peelander Z would be a daunting undertaking for any band, even another prop heavy live band, such as Gwar. Doubt never should have entered my mind. The Aggrolites not only eclipsed Peelander Z, but delivered one of the greatest live sets San Francisco has seen all year. The band blazed through an hour and a half of stop on a dime first wave ska meets rocksteady with a tinge of soul reggae, drawing from all four of their studio records. In addition to their own material, The Aggrolites brought the house down with two covers, The Temptations "Ain't To Proud To Beg" and the Beatles "Don't Let Me Down". The Aggrolites put their own spin on these classics and managed to make them their own while doing both songs justice. The band is touring in support of Unleashed Vol. I, a live album that dropped earlier this month and based on how good the live show was, this may be the first live record worth picking up in a long time. The Aggrolites are one of the greatest live bands out right now, and got an entire room of random college kids, skinheads, and punkers dancing and singing along. If you are a fan of outstanding music, The Aggrolites need to be on your list of bands to see. They're on tour through the end of October. Go out and dance.









No comments:

Post a Comment