Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Return of OLDMAN!

Oldman is back. He was busy being a father and a normal person so it took him a minute to do his next round of totally awesome hip hop video reviews. He still is sitting on some, but here's a few we've had kicking around the inbox for a minute.

Young L "Loud Pockets"



I appreciate that the new breed of hip is attempting to innovate with the stripped down digital 8 bit sound, but it seems that innovation has not made its way to the lyrics. Young L has no business holding a mic. As Ice Cube accurately called out to Dre on No Vaseline,"Yo L, stick to producin." The lyrics are garbage and why is he trying to sound like he is losing his voice? I've heard him interviewed and he is articulate and his voice sounds nothing like it does when he raps. I hate when people put on an affect to sound hood. I get the sense he is pulling a Will Smith on us. In private its "pardon me can you pass the Grey Poupon" on the mic its "swagged out errday."

By the way what's the over/under on when "swag" will officially die as a phrase? It's already tired and if you have to tell me you have it, you don't. I see it going the way of "shizzle" pretty soon. I give it a few months before you hear a character on your favorite sitcom use it.

The girl in the video is hilarious though. Not attractive and no rhythm. Why is she there? Was he paying homage to LL Cool J's Going back to Cali video?



DJ Khaled "All I Do Is Win Remix" (with like 10000 other people)



Can someone explain what it is that DJ Khaled does? He isn't a rapper and all of "his" hits are produced by other people including this one. So what is it that he does? He reminds me of the kid on the block who was the only one to have a PlayStation and everyone went to house to play even though they thought he was lame.

As for this song and video, I thought there were a couple of cool verses. Can't think of a guest feature type song where the female had the best verse but I think Nicki actually did on this one. I'm convinced Puffy paid to get on this track just to promote his vodka. He might be the worst MC of all time and I'm glad I now know Ciroc is his so I wont accidentally buy it. Clearly the video producer knew Puffy and Fat Joe had the worst verses. Notice how he prominently featured the video models during their parts? Dudes would have fast forwarded otherwise.

I like DJ Khaled's "I'm on One" better, which of course he didn't produce either.


Stay tuned for another set of videos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment